Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Saturday, October 14, 2006

First Post!

OK, so I've finally got myself a blog, now to figure out how to get pics and stuff... *sigh* So many things i have to do...

Anyhow, first post should be about what I've done, not me whining about what I need to do. So to those of you who did not get my last email, I've just been checking out the sights and sounds of Sydney.

I'm staying right downtown near Chinatown in the Wake Up! Hostel. This has been a great time so far. They run tours around the city every week, just to check out the various beaches and landmarks in the area. The Opera House is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, I'll tell you that. But it's pricey to see a show, so I may not be able to do that while I'm here, unless I get myself a high paying job. That actually seems to be pretty easy to do, some of the girls staying in the hostel have already gotten jobs paying them, like, $1000/week. That's not bad scratch...

Observations abot Sydney: Not having spent any time in a big European city, I don't have anything to cmpare it to, but it's different than any North American city I've ever been in. I can't find any 'malls' or big box stores. Even their supermarkets are no bigger than our 7-11's. Oh yes, and there's McDonalds out here, all over the place. I haven't eaten in one yet (why would I travel all this way to eat a Big mac anyways?) but apparently the Aussies go mental for them. Every time I've walked by one, they're always queued up 20 people deep, no joke. It's crazy!

But I'll end this here, and I'll update in the next couple days.

Cheers!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you need to make 1000$ a week if you want to dream the great aussie dream of eating at mcdonalds 7 nights a week.

Perhaps Australian Mcdonalds are as much better than Canada's as ours are than the U.S.'s, and it's like a trip to Hy's for $7.99

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey try the McOz...or McAus. Comes with Beatroot mmmm Yummy. i ate it everyday. NOT!!!! anyhow glad your liking it so far. Maybe we can be roomies when we both immigrate.

Shawna no longer but missing the land down undah!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But the really BIG question everyone wants to know is.... do they have Tim Horton's coffee down there?

5:10 AM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

There is no Tim Horton's down in Aus, but there's Starbucks all over the place. There's also Pizza Hut, Subway, KFC and a Burger King ripoff called Hungry Jacks, though they have the same logo as Burger King and even sell a Whopper burger. It's quite possibly the worst burger i've ever eaten however. Of course, this was at 4am stumbling home from the bar, so it wasn't an ideal testing situation.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you go to Watson's Bay for some sun, suds and fish and chips at Doyle's, well worth the trip.

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home