Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Passport.... to Drunkenness

"And on this auspicious occasion, the day of our Lord, October Twenty-First Two Thousand and Six, a representative from Canada has met and broken a record held long by members from parts unknown. On this day, one Kevin Lambert did travel globally through the menu of the Side Bar in Sydney Australia, and drank one of each drink, a grand total of 21 elixirs, in a time of 1 hour and 53 minutes, shattering the previous record by a full 7 minutes. For this display of alcoholic prowess, a special T-Shirt was given, and his name shall go upon the Wall of Fame for all to see. Your country, nay, the world, is proud of this achievement."

So here's the deal. There's a bar in the basement of the hostel called the Sidebar, basically just a regular dance club type setting. They have what they call the Sidebar Passport, just a card listing all the various countries that have drinks named for the on the menu (ie. The Welsh Choirboy - Baileys, Kalhua and Milk; The Noisy Yank - Amaretto, Coke and Beer; Luck of the Irish - Red Bull and Jagermeister, that sort of thing. And no, Canada does not have a drink for them). If you get a card, when you buy one of the drinks on the menu, you get that country stamped, and once you drink all the drinks, this passport goes up on the wall with the rest of them. There's mostly people from the UK up there (just like there's mostly people from the UK staying in the hostel), one Canadian, a couple Finns, and that's about it. Well, I asked the event coordinator what I would get if I drank all 21 of the drinks in one night, he said not much but a wicked hangover the next day. Then I asked what the record was, and he said 2 hours and 19 minutes to drink them all. I said I could beat that.

Flash to last night. I had made the promise to beat this record last night, and it turns out someone beat it last week at 2 hours. I said I could still beat that. I've been training for the past 2 weeks. I told people in my room I would beat it, I told random strangers I would beat it. I couldn't go back on my promise. So I had to do it.

The timer started at 9pm, and so did the drinks. Let me tell you people, 21 drinks in less than 2 hours isn't an easy task to manage, especially considering some of the drinks (The Chinese Burn - Sambucca, Tequila and Tabasco. That's all in one glass). I kicked that menu's ass and came back for more.

Truly, I am a proud Canadian, and will be remembered in the annals of history for years to come, or until next weekend when some Scotsman no doubt destroys my record by half an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home