Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Friday, December 08, 2006

I did WHAT?

OK, so as part of my job in the hostel, I have to take people out and have fun. Of course, the easiest way to do this is to lead by example. Not necessarily getting drunk all the time, I'm not really doing that, but I do try and get up and dance and do stupid things to show people a good time. Of course, embarrassing myself is pretty much my middle name. Kevin Embarrassingmyself Lambert. I think it's Swedish.

Anyhow, Wednesday nights are Quiz nights here in the hostel. I give out free beer and wine ("Goon" actually. Boxed wine which, I swear, has traces of 'fish, eggs, and nut products'.) and ask a bunch of trivia questions, to which people challenge some of the answers. People can be downright stubborn when first prize is a $50 bar tab. Trivia night is, for me, the most entertaining evening, since it requires, at most, an hour of research on the internet to come up with 40 questions, and 2 tie-breakers and people seem to have a good time. After Quiz Night, we go to one of the local bars, in this case it was Scubar.

Scubar is a pretty small bar, about the size of a 3 car garage, with a little dance floor, and a Scuba theme (go figure). They've been trying to bring in more people lately, so this week they started their Pole Dancing Competitions on Wednesday. They have a professional Pole Dancer (should it be capitalized? I'm not sure that's an official title) come in and dance for a bit, then they have 4 girls and 4 guys go up and dance, and the crowd judges the winners.

Even though I know everyone can tell where this is going, I'm gonna tell you the story anyways. So the first girl gets up, and she does a good job. First person, being a little awkward, not surprising. Then the first guy gets up, and dances a bit, not too badly. But there's no other guys signed up, and this clown would have won the $50 bar tab all by himself! Unforgiveable! So who has to step up and give the guy a challenge? Yours truly. People, let me tell you, I rocked the stage, and the crowd loved every minute of it. Of course, once I went up, they had 2 other guys signed up right away, to challenge me, or just because they were really drunk. Either way, they danced. The 3rd guy went up. Let's just say that I felt dirty after watching his ride that pole. (Is it just me, or does this whole paragraph sound gayer than necessary?)

So the other girls got up, and one of the girls from my hostel (from Edmonton, Canada represent!) and danced a bit. Of course, being a little drunk, she took off her shirt (easy boys, she had a sports bra on!) and the crowd went nuts. Some guy even threw $10 on stage for her!

So, long story, marginally shorter, not only did she win the women's challenge, but I won the men's! So we had $100 bar tab at Scubar, and Footprints and Canada are now reigning champions at Scubar's pole dancing competition. Undefeated, no less!

Of course, I didn't bring my camera, but I did get some of the others around here to promise to send me pictures when they get a chance. So when I get them, you'll see them all, I promise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Kevin, the fact that watching men dance seductively makes you horny doesn't mean you're gay. Oh.. wait, actually, I just looked it up, and it does mean you're gay. Good on ya, mate.

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's our boy!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home