Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I Canberra, Can You?

So I'm not in Sydney anymore, I've moved on to Canberra for a couple days, staying with an old friend Chris Corkery, who I haven't seen in a few years. He's out here doing his PhD at the University here for a few years. I didn't even know he was out here until another friend mentioned it, so we did the email thing, and he offered his couch for a couple days. I figured, why not I'm out here anyways.

Canberra is about a 3 hour drive from Sydney, and I hopped a Greyhound to get here and they showed the DREADFUL 'Around the World in 80 Days' with Jackie Chan. Luckily, I has heavily sedated and slept almost the whole way here. Although I probably could have spotted some kangaroos or other wildlife along the roads.

One thing I noticed, and I'm not sure of the reason, but all the trees seem to be stripped of their bark along the highway. Could be animals eating it, could be wind blowing it off, I have no idea. I'll have to look into it.

At any rate, tomorrow I leave for Melbourne where I'll stay in another hostel for a week or 2, and look for work. I've been going through my money a little faster than I had anticipated, though I still have enough to live for the next few weeks without worrying too much. But I don't think it should be too hard to find work anyways. A friend of mine called a place on Sunday, had the interview on Monday and they offered her a job right there, paying $16/hour. Not a bad deal, plus she found a place in Bondi Beach to live and it's literally a 10 minute walk from the ocean. Lucky girl.

Anyhow, here's some more pictures:



That's me hurtling towards the earth at breakneck speed. That guy would just not get off my back, no matter how many times I told him. I'm like, "Dude, I hardly know you!" and he was all like, "It's for safety and if I'm not here you'll plummet to your death, blah blah." I think he was coming onto me...

That's me aftr all the drinks were consumed with the shirt I won for doing it. Why is Canada a snail, you may ask? I don't know, I didn't draw the design. But there's 5 signs around the bar that say 'Mix with the World' and various sea creatures with flags on them. Germany is a crab, US is some sort of angelfish, Italy is an eel, and Canada for some reason is a snail. Slow and steady wins the race I suppose.



This here is Faune, a girl from Ottawa who was staying in the same room I was for about a week. She's trying out the steamy librarian look, and I think she may have succeeded.

2 Comments:

Blogger K-Dawg said...

There's a monkey on my back?! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!
And sadly, they took the suit back after the jump. I'm gonna buy one anyways just so I can wear it around town. I think they're hot looking.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude.....you need some bowling shoes or blue suede ones to complete the whole look, then you will be on fire!
Sounds like you are having a blast, i think you may be having more fun in your first month in aus then i did in 9 months. keep up the good work. I am jealous and want to do it all over again!!! I am still going to try for Easter
So yeah i landed in Sydney but loved Melbourne. Different feel and different things to offer but cool nonetheless. Be sure to go have a hot chocolate with Janny at Max Brennans...she will know what i mean. Best hot chocolate ive ever had.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home