Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Toowoomba, Toowoomba

Trust the Aussies to name something Toowoomba (Bullfrog? What a stupid name. I would have called them chazzlewuzzers).

So yeah, I'm staying in Toowomba right now with a friend I met on Heron Island. It's a nice little town sort of situated on the top of a mountain range (mountains.... ha! It's only, like, 700m above sea level) and it actually snows here on rare occasions. I haven't seen any yet, but it's still technically autumn right now. I should just walk around with a parka and snowshoes one of these days to freak these outbacks out.

Fact! Toowoomba is the birthplace of noted thespian Geoffery Rush.

Other than me hanging out and doing nothing, I have no other news. I'm seriously looking for work right now, as I'm hitting E on my bank account's fuel guage. Not to worry though. In the next few weeks I'm going to be heading to Airlie Beach, further up the coast near the Whitsundays to meet up with my friend Shawna again, and there's a lot more work up there, so I'm just sort of coasting right now. Get it? Coasting? Up the coast? Man, I should be on stage somewhere.

Toowomba isn't very 'tourist friendly' in that their internet cafes cost a ton, and the library won't let people without library cards use their terminals, and they charge non-residents $60 just to get a card. Also, there are no hostels in town. I'm currently living above a pub in a little room that, thankfully, has its own sink (Yippee).

And one final note. For those of you who have never done this, it may seem a little worrisome, but I'm planning on hitchhiking up the coast to save me some cash. Luckily, Australia is actually more tolerant and less scary than Canada in that regard, as I know some people who have done it without any problems. It's something new, so we'll see how it goes.

Take care everyone, and I'll be sure to let you know if I get brutally murdered while thumbing it. (And no, I *still* haven't seen Wolf Creek, so stop asking me) :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Lavin said...

I was gonna comment on Wolf Creek but I shall remain silent, but scared.

And! At Outback Steakhouse the Toowomba pasta is my favorite!

10:09 PM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

That's one thing about Outback steakhouse. There should be kangaroo steaks on the menu, not pasta (which isn't really an Austrlian invention). And kangaroo steaks is good! Mmmm...

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Its Shawna's Mom from the Okanagan. I have enjoyed reading about your travels, and Im sure Shawna is excited your meeting up again on your travels. She loves the Whitsundays Have fun.

4:00 PM  
Blogger J. Cullinane said...

I've got to say, you're one brave dude. I see all these parents and "grown ups" commenting on your blog. My mother knows I have one, wants to read it, and I take great strides in ensuring she does NOT. Hats off to you, Mad Max.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading the name of that place your at makes me want to break out in song,,,In the Jungle, the mighty Jungle the Lion sleeps tonight.....
ok enough,,,you know I can't sing,,,,sorry about you having to listen,,,wait for get that,,,read me singing...just as bad.
can't wait to see your birthday pics...just thought I would remind you that we have yet to see you in action again.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home