Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Friday, April 27, 2007

The Ultraviolet Garden

So I quit work and I'm heading up to Byron for my birthday. Should be good times, some friends went up there this week, and will meet Ash and I up there when we go. After that, I'm not coming back to Sydney. I'll probably head up to Brisbane and stay with my friend, Chris, from Heron. He's a top bloke, fair dinkum even. Then after that, the dreaded fruit picking.

I can't put it off any longer folks. I'm heading up to Noosa hopefully. 3 months. Good lord, am I not looking forward to that.

So to answer a few questions, my application for permanent residency is going to be put on hold for now. I need to apply from outside Australia, and while I want to go to New Zealand eventually anyways, I've decided that I should, and will, do the fruit picking. Could be a character building experience, I figure. And chicks dig blisters.

Also, while Sydney is a giant city, the vast majority of people I have met while here happen to be English, Irish or Canadian; hardly the right nationalities to ensure residency through marriage (Mom). So that isn't an option right now, though I'm going to be here until well into 2008 anyways, so who's to say that's not in the cards sooner or later? Bruce, the homeless guy down the street, that's who. And don't you forget it.

In other news, the Flames are not in the playoffs any longer (boo-urns), but luckily the Canucks are still in it, and Ottawa should probably beat the Devils (I hope). I was lucky enough to catch a game on TV the other night, Calgary v Detroit, and even though I wasn't a huge hockey fan before, not being able to watch it whenever I want has made me miss it down here, and really enjoy the games I get to see, especially if I'm able to see a great game with Canadian teams, or like the time I saw Sidney Crosby get his 6 points in a game with random strangers in a bar, who kept asking me hockey questions. Good times, good times.

Join me for my next exciting entry, where we discuss the pros and cons of giving dolphins the vote.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, just wanted to wish you a happy birthday - I realize it is too early but not sure when I will remember to check your site again. Glad you are having a blast. Fruit picking might not be that though. A Toastmaster friend of mine has done several speeches on his adventures in Australia and that was one of highlights - he really enjoyed it. Our flights are booked - we leave for New Zealank on Sept 17th, go to Sydney, October 18th and fly home November 29th. Exciting !! Take care.

Dianne (your aunt - remember me?)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have no concept of how someone could put fruit picking at the top of a list of highlights, but maybe that's because I'm pampered bourgeosie instead of hardened proletariat.

11:37 PM  
Blogger J. Cullinane said...

No, that's not it, because I'm a TOTAL plebian and I don't get it either.

7:55 AM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! When you arrive in Austrlia, give me a call or email me, and I'll try and meet up with you guys. It'll be good to see someone from home :)
And you have to put things in relative terms. Maybe he was locked up in a small cage with only rat carcasses to eat and tepid water to drink before going fruit picking.

2:44 PM  
Blogger J. Cullinane said...

Hmmmm true. I never took into consideration the Smeagol Factor.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home