Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Thursday, November 22, 2007

So Brisbane Eh?

So I'm currently in Brisbane, and the mood is... well... meh. It's not a terrible place, mind you, there's just nothing going on here, much like Winnipeg without the rampant crime, prostitution rings, and killer penguins.

Brisbane's city motto is (currently) "Gateway to the Gold Coast". Basically, they're advertising that they want you to come here, only to continue on south to where the real fun is. It's like the self-depricating friend that tells people that his friends only like him because of his Playstation 3. Really, I've found Brisbane to be very similar to Calgary. It's about the same size, very hilly and moderate in temperature. How very exciting.

I'm currently working 2 jobs though. During the morning I'm the breakfast cook at a restaurant. Yeah, I make bacon, eggs, toast and such (no hash browns though, and I would kill someone for some good has browns right now). It's easy work, and I get to eat all I want while I work, so it's not too bad. I'm also waiting/bartending on weekends, so I've got something else to do during the evenings. The bad thing is that I'm really, really bored.

Brisbane is just too... I dunno. Big maybe? After living in Airlie Beach for 6 months, I've gotten used to the small town feel. You walk down the street and you can see at least a dozen people you know and can just chat to. In Brisbane, or any other big city, you're just another face in a crowd of thousands. Small fish in a big pond and all that. This concerns me, for what am I going to do when I get home to Calgary?

I've been mulling over this for a while, and I haven't quite made a decision. I'm thinking I may head to Banff or Canmore or one of those places. No idea, just playing around with some options I guess.

Um... Oh, Shawna came back to Oz! She did the same thing as me, defrauded the government, and was able to come back. She's in Brissie right now, but I haven't met up with her yet. I'm working all the time, and it's tough to find time to get together. Soon enough though, and then it'll be good times all over again. Maybe this time we'll stay out of jail *cough*

I also understand the Bombers and the Riders are going to the Grey Cup. I can't believe it after how many seasons? 10 at least, the Bombers are back in the running. I can't wait to hear who won. I've always said if the Bombers can't do it, go Riders, but you know what? Screw the riders, I hope they all die in a fire.

And on that note.....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jail? and what about the costume

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, congratulations on staying in Aus. Unfortunately our days are numbered and I just checked the Wpg forecast - ouch - wind chill of -30 Monday night. Sorry to report that the Bombers lost - but only by 4 points. I think Ryan played well - being his first game and all (Glenn broke his arm last game). We are in Inverlock (South Aus) and were able to pay $16 bucks and watch the game on the internet - sweet. Bye for now. - Loved our visit with you in Brisbane.

Dianne and Ed.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dude, brissy was the same for me. i ended up going to surfers. city on the beach. and your airlie thing....that was my leeman thing. no wonder im still not adjusted a year and a half later. i think i might buy a horse tho.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home