Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Good News?

Really quick update here folks. I've applied for my visa extension, and it's been approved *pending a medical and/or chest x-ray*. WTF? Of course, this means travelling to Brisbane for a couple days, getting it done, and having the documents all sent into the government. Bah!

However, my bridging visa has been approved, which basically means that I'm allowed to stay in the country as long as my visa is being processed, which could take me beyond my October 9th deadline. Woohoo I guess.

Still, what could they possibly be looking for now that they didn't think was important enough before I came here to begin with? I dunno. Maybe stray bullets? I inhaled some crack I've been trying to smuggle in for 11 months now? How very strange.

This is somewhat good news, however, in the sense that I'm pretty sure I'm in good enough health to be approved after this has been done.

Over and out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Lavin said...

I had to do a whole physical, including chest X-ray to come to the US too. And they warn me in very large letters to KEEP THIS X-RAY WHILE YOU REMAIN IN THE US!

3:30 AM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

Yeah, I could understand that if they wanted it before I even showed up, but it's just strange that they would want it now after I've been here for a year and worked and such. And I seriously doubt I'll be able to hold onto my x-rays while traveling around. I've already lost all sorts of things (luckily not my passport or birth cert yet).

3:14 PM  
Blogger J. Cullinane said...

I think it has to do with whether your are short or long-term. When we were applying to NZ, whether or not we stayed over 6 months decided whether or not we got chest x-rays and the medical exam. I guess they think if you're short-term, you won't be a Typhoid Mary, though if you have Tuberculosis (which the chest x-ray is for), I'd think you could spread it around fairly easily in >6 months anyway.

Also, I had to NOT be pregnant - I guess they also have that worry that you'll time it so you give birth in their country and therefore have a fast-track to citizenship. Weird.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home