Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

OMFG

Well, I've just found my new favourite store. It's a candy shop in the train station near my hostel in Brisbane. I know, what the hell kind of favourite store is that? Well people, I haven't had 2 of my favourite drinks in well over a year (Dr. Pepper and A&W Root Beer) and this place stocks them both. not only that, but they also stock all sorts of Canadian and American candies. Coffee Crisp? Check. Milk Duds? Check. Twizzlers, both flavours? Check and double check. In fact, as I type this, I'm enjoying my first A&W Root Beer in over a year. I forsee much of my income being quickly converted to tooth decay and diabetic shock. Lucky me.

In other news, I'm leaving Brisbane. I'm actually looking forward to it, because Brissie is starting to grate on me. It's not a terrible city, but I just need to move on.

Where am I going, my millions of readers are asking? Fortunately, I have some friends who live in Taree, which is about an hour outside of Newcastle, or about 3 1/2 hours north of Sydney. They've got a free room, live next to the beach (which also features a nude beach on one side. Score!) and I'm pretty much just gonna relax and take it easy for a few weeks.

Oh yes, one of my good friends from Calgary is supposed to be coming to Australia in a few weeks as well. it'll be cool to hang out and travel around with someone after so long of just doing my own thing. Don't get me wrong, I like being by myself. I don't have to worry about whether someone else wants to do what I'm doing, and I can pretty much make my own plans, but it'll be nice to just be able to have someone travelling with me, remembering the stuff that happened "last night" and crap like that. God, that sounds really weak... :)

And my good friend Ashley (who's also from Winnipeg. her best friend lived next door to me for 10 years) is flying back to Sydney to go to school. It'll be good to see her again too. She left Australia last... June? I think. Somewhere around there. Anyways, I won't be in Sydney for a month or so, and sadly, almost everyone we met last year has already gone home, so there won't be much of a reunion, but we'll certainly party it up again. Scruffy Murphy's, here we come!

And finally, on a somber note: RIP Heath Ledger. The whole of Australia is in mourning. I would say they're as shocked by this as they were about Steve Irwin dying. I went into work the other day, and some of the girls were actually still kind of in a daze about it.

Mmmmm.... Root Beer.....

3 Comments:

Blogger J. Cullinane said...

It's amazing what you miss/crave when you're abroad, isn't it? Candy was HUGE for me too, HUGE! So was cereal and AMERICAN version of soda (for whatever reason, the fizz would die in like 3.2 seconds in NZ). My mother used to send me care packages that consisted solely of candy and pantyhose (Thai women are quite a bit *cough* smaller than I am, it seems).

RIP to Heath too. He was one of my favorites. I love how they had the 'jump in the ocean' thing for him at his funeral in Australia.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and here I am craving licorise from Australia. One of the salesmen I work with brought in some and now that Im addicted I can't find it....kinda pricey to fly there to get more.....

1:22 PM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

Yeah when I can find a Coffee Crisp choco bar, I buy it, regardless of how much it is. I've had to pay $3 for a candy bar out here. Imports! Bah! I'm just waiting to have Clamato juice and Frank's Red Hot sent to me *hint* *hint* :)

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home