Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Work, Work, Work

So since about 2 weeks ago, I've been working 2 jobs: Waiting tables at the Hog's Breath Cafe up here (the first one in Australia) and in a Fish and Chip shop. Yes, I literally work frying up chips and battered fish. It's good because I get to eat and drink for free while I work, so I've been saving up my 5cent pieces through that, but I work 7 days a week, about 60 hours in the week, so I'm tired and don't have a lot of time to do anything exciting. That is all about to change....

I was chatting with my boss at Hoggies last night, and, while I've only been working there for 2 weeks, they want me to become a sort of "supervisor" of the staff some of the nights I work. Basically, assign sections, come in early to set up the restaurant, stay late to close it down, that sort of thing. Pretty much working full time, as opposed to the 20-15 hours I work now for them. That's not even the best part...

In order for me to work there, I've pretty much told them that I would need to be staying in the country after my visa expires in October. So they're going to sponsor me to stay! WOOT! This means I'll be here in Airlie for 2 years, after which I can apply to become a resident. Huge relief, since I won't have to do the fruit-picking thing, and they pay for all the costs associated with the application, so I don't have to spend thousands of dollars just to get rejected because of my multiple homocide convictions. Those monkeys deserved to die, I told the judge that!

So that's my latest news. This means I won't get to see most of you for a few years, or possibly when I decide to fly back for a visit, which may be this Christmas, or just a random couple of weeks sometime in the near future. Once I get citizenship, you're all invited to visit me and take up space on my couch, or spare bed, or whatever i have available at the time.

Cheers!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome, except for the part where we don't get to see you for years and years. I'm happy for you and sad for me! *big mushy hug*

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to stay in a country that you enjoy being in. It's going to be hard not seeing your pleasant smile for a long time, but your blog is very enjoyable and we can imagine your enthusiasm. We will start saving our pennies for the future trip to Oz. Glad to hear you are doing well, even if the hours are long. Take care. Love you and Miss you.
Mom & Dad xoxoxo

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i worked up at hog's breath too in airlie beach, at the very start of jan 2007. sick place. were your bosses leonie and graham? on my last night leonie got (and if she was your boss you'd realise that was every night) and abused me in front of the whole restaurant, calling me f'ing this and f'ing that. she was kinda angry for some unknown reason.
anyway, i was glad to leave hoggies, but hated leaving airlie. i was there for 3 months and one of the best experiences i've had!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home