Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Could I possibly have picked a more cliched title for this entry? Possibly, but I didn't. Irregardless, there have been a few interesting things happen in the past few days.

First of all, it's currently Race Week in Airlie Beach. Basically, it means the community (formerly around 3,000 people) swells to about 15,000 as yachties from all over Australia come to compete in single-hull, multi-hull, and presumably infinite-hull races around the bay and to the Whitsunday Islands. It's an exciting time for anyone who knows anything about sailing. Growing up 3500km away from the nearest ocean, however, has dulled my enthusiasm. Nonetheless, there are heaps of interesting people in town now, and the restaurant hasn't been busier. In fact, I even got to run around in the Hog's Breath mascot outfit (just a big pink pig with a giant fork and knife). Huzzah!

In other news, we have a new boarder in the house. He's Korean, and he's attending English school down the street. I don't know his name (despite him being there for 3 days now) simply because when he goes to school, I'm still asleep, and when I get home from work, he's asleep. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I know he doesn't speak English very well, and has just come to the country. I've been able to Sherlock this fact out by looking at his toothpaste, which has not a word of English on it, but instead is covered with cryptic symbols and devil horns. Just like all Koreans.

Speaking of which, I don't want to perpetuate the stereotype, but it all seems a little too coincidental, if you know what I mean. We had 3 cats in our house last week, Satin, Hobie and Tinhead (because when they found him, his head was stuck in a soup can. How adorable). Anyhow, I came home last night and Billy told me that we are missing a cat. Tinhead seems to have disappeared. He would never miss a meal, but he's been gone for 2 days now. I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.... *cough*

Anyhow, things are plugging along nicely here in Oz. I have a few days left in which to decide what I'm going to do, saty here for another year, go somewhere else, or just go home (Cue Final Jeopardy music). Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:27 PM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

BTW: I know 'irregardless' isn't a word, I just like to throw it in there for my anal retentive readers (you all know who you are). ;)

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home