Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Kevin = Not Homeless!

Hostel living has its advantages and disadvantages. First off, it's a lot easier to meet fellow travellers if you're in the same room or sharing a bunk bed. They show up, you say hello, and you're instant friends (providing they can speak English). It's also usually cheaper, and close to alot of the good things about the town. For example, the hostel in which I was staying, Beaches, has a bar right outside the front door, an Internet cafe on the main floor, and is pretty much right in the centre of town. I'd be able to go home on my 2 hour break from work, eat lunch, and snooze for a good hour before heading back. Times were good.

The downside to hostel living is that you're pretty much never alone. People come in to the room at all hours of the night, usually blind drunk, making noise and/or vomiting all over the place. In fact, I've had more than one occasion where people would get up in the middle of the night, and pee right in the middle of the floor, then go back to bed, not having any idea that they just whizzed on someone's backpack. Yeah, that's fun. Also, no hostel that I've ever been in has had a bathtub, all just showers. I haven't had a bath in months (I have showered, you smart-asses).

I have, however, been able to remove myself from that situation entirely by renting a room in a house just outside of town. Basically, I'm living in a 4 bedroom house with one woman (the owner of the house, but she's leaving next week to go to Brisbane for some massage course or something like that) and a retired motorcycle repairman. We're the original Odd Couple! Luckily, it's fully furnished, has a huge deck and an amazing ocean view. The downside is that it's a half hour walk away from town, and though the bus goes right by, th bus service in Airlie stops at 10pm, so I'll likely have to make a lot of long walks home at night. I'm sure I'll live, my legs are pillars of steel and rubber balls.

If anyone feels the need to have my address, email me and I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I wouldn't post it, for fear the Feds get a hold of it, and send out more assassins. Luckily, my protective wombats are deadly fast.

Other than my newfound residence, nothing much is happening. I'm still waiting to hear about the sponsorship, and will be looking into extending my visa any way possible. Anybody know any Aussie ladies that would be willing to marry me in the next 2 months? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray! There's always an upside in your ramblings.
Our neighbour's niece who was living there with them for two months... no... 6 months... oh no... 10 MONTHS has a friend from Aus that moved in with them for 6 weeks and now they are off in Kelowna (of all places Canadian to visit). I'm sure she'd marry you, but she'd probably have a hard time with the motorcycle repair guy hanging about.
You should check into being a Kiwi. I hear if you get citizenship there, you can move back and forth between New Zealand and Australia. But that's just a vicious rumour started by those damn Feds.
And photos of your new digs? or is your camera/computer still lacking?

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin. Interesting that you should be talking about hostels. We were considering staying in hostels well in New Zealand and Australia, maybe now we will take our our room. I heard you stayed in a nice one in Sydney - can you share with us where that was?

Dianne and Ed

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home