Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter everyone! Hope the Easter bunny left you good chocolaty treats and very few rabbit nuggets in your houses.

So I'm working in an Irish pub right now. It's actually pretty fun, since I'm the only non-Irish guy working there, and only 1 of 2 Canadians in the whole place, so I'm starting to sound a little more Irish when I talk. "Yer man" tumbles out of my mouth every once in a while (as in, "I was talking to yer man the other day" which just means "I was talking to some guy". I know, Irish are cool!). It's also hilariously fun when I get to cut people off at the bar because they've been drinking too much (side note: In Australia, if a bar serves a person too many drinks, and the police come in and see he's intoxicated, the barman who served the customer personally gets a fine of $5500, and the bar itself gets a fine of $55000, so it's in my best interests not to serve people who are really drunk).

The other night, I told some dude he was cut off (keep in mind this was 4am), and he seemed to joke about it, "Give me 2 vodka lemonades now" type of thing. So I just told him, "No mate, you're cut off. You've had too much, I'll give you some water." He then actually started swearing at me, and I was concerned that he was gonna come over the bar at me. Luckily, the bouncers jumped on him soon enough and tossed him out, but it was still somewhat surreal. Moral: Don't cut off the Irish when they're on a big bender.

The good thing about the job is it pays well, and I work pretty much every day. The bad news is, because it's a 24 hour bar, and I'm the new guy, I work the 11pm-8am shift, shift means I have to clean up after everyone leaves. How many of you have seen an empty bar with the lights on after people have been drinking all night? Yeah, imagine the scene. It's rough. Plus, since I work all night, I rarely get to see the sun, since I sleep pretty much all day. But I'll just be doing this for a couple months to save up money (since I work all the time, and sleep the rest of the time, I spend very little money) then I'm off to parts unknown to have some more fun.

I'd also like to point out that I started there on St Patrick's Day. In an Irish Pub. In a city that has one of the largest concentrations of Irish outside of Ireland. It was messy. Fun, but terribly, terribly messy.

What else is going on in the world? How was your Easter? How was your St. Patrick's Day? I demand answers! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger J. Cullinane said...

I briefly (thank god!) worked in a nasty ass bar and you're totally right, when everyone FINALLY leaves and the lights come on it's a scary, surreal, 7th-circle-of-Hell sight.

I'm still flabbergasted at the whole "24 hour bar" thing though!

3:18 AM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

It's pretty cool. There's a few 24 hour bars around the area. Want a drink and it's 5am? No problem! We'll accommodate your rampant alcoholism!

2:55 PM  
Blogger J. Cullinane said...

I can see a drink at 5am more easily than on at 9:00am! Eeeeuch!

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home