Kev in Aus

Chronicling the misadventures of a Canadian traveling through Australia. There's seemingly far too many of us!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

No, I'm Not Commando

OK, now that I've sort of settled in again and not going crazy from the train trip, I'll do a proper post. I know both of you are thrilled.

So I stayed up in Halliday's Point, which was really cool. It is very much a sleepy little beach town of, perhaps, 200 people. It's very remote though, and I found it to be a little... well, boring to be honest. There was no internet cafe for 50km, there wasn't even a petrol station in town. There was only a Coles (supermarket), a butcher, a baker (and no, there was no candlestick maker. I know you're all thinking it. Because I thought the same thing), a post office, a pub an a golf course. An of course, the beach. It was great seeing my friends Jaryd and Monique again (I met them up in Airlie Beach an hadn't seen them for 6 months) but I found myself getting restless. There wasn't much to do around there, except go to the pub and drink, and I coulnd't even do that since there was no place for me to work. So I decided to head back to Sydney to find work, save up my money and head either to Perth (which I hear is amazing) or back to Brisbane (which I actually really miss. Mostly it's the people I met while out there. The city I could take or leave). I've got heaps of time to decide though so I'm not too stressed.

So my trip own to Sydney was relatively uneventful (except for the terrorists who wanted to hijack to train and use it as a control center in orer to take control of a top-secret government outer space super-weapon. This stuff happens all the time in Australia, an, to a lesser extent, really bad Steven Segal movies). What happened after I got into Sydney however, was the part that makes me sad. After I got off the train, I realizze that I left a plastic bag of various clothing in the overhead compartment of the train. So I went to report it, and the lady called ahead to the other stations, and said I could go pick it up at Sydney Central station, about 5 stops further down the track. Wonderful. Of course, I went there, and lo and behold, no bag. So I though to myself, "Well, it's only a few shirts I could live without, no big deal."

As I got up this morning to get dressed, I realize that the bag I had actually contained my 2 souvenir shirts (the Canada shirt from the time I broke the Sidebar Passport challenge record and my Staff shirt from the time I worked as the Activities Coordinator for Footprints hostel) all but 2 pairs of underwear, my only 2 pairs of boardie shorts, and a pair of jeans. So I've basically got all the clothes I usually don't keep in my rotation and I'm missing all my good clothes. Yarrgh! (By the way, that is the official Aussie mating call. Try it next time you're at the club. You'll get results! Fair Dinkum!)

But on the bright side, I found work today, and I'll be able to stay for free in a hostel (not legally of course. I'm totally flying under their radar. At least until they cotton on the fact that I'm not paying for the bed in which I sleep). So I've got that going for me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

back in sydney....kinda like home to you now i bet. that sucks about the clothes. i know that feeling as for the 2-3 months getting home from backpacking i still seemed to wear the same three outfits at a moments notice cause it was so comfortable. sorry to hear you lost the souvenirs.
glad your well and hope to chat soon. if you go to perth youll have to check out cottlesloe. let me know as i might have some contacts there still too!! keep on keeping on. and its so funny to hear you sound so aussie. i miss that...i miss that i lost that a bit now too. who knows. maybe ill come visit.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you have found a job, although I was sure there was something there waiting for you to apply. Too bad about your clothes. It's a good thing you had another bag of clothes or you would have been writing this in your only pair of underwear. Good thing also your computer wasn't in the bag. Sounds like you will be stationary for a few months so that will be good. Take care of yourself and we will talk soon. We Love You and Miss You Much.
Mom & Dad xoxoxo

11:06 AM  
Blogger K-Dawg said...

Sydney's just OK really. I much prefer Brisbane to be honest. Smaller city and not so.. busy I suppose. But I was able to find work much faster down here, so it's all worked out. And you'll be happy to know, I actually got all my clothes back. Long story short, they were not where they were supposed to be kept in the lost and found. But I still had to pay money to get them back. Holding fee? WTF?

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home